Minehead Barbarians brush Yatton aside

By Aaron Kendall   |   Assistant Editor   |
Monday 31st October 2016 1:11 pm
[email protected]

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

MINEHEAD Barbarians travelled to face bottom of the table Yatton II on Saturday and ran up a 62-15 victory.

On a flat pitch with dry conditions, it was a perfect day for them to play some running rugby against a side struggling for form, and from the outset they looked the stronger and fitter side, working well as a team to move the ball around the park.

Leigh Parker put in a big hit early in the game, forcing Yatton to make a full substitution within five minutes, and along with Ryan Lewis and Harry Simms, he got Minehead onto the front foot and to the right end of the park.

Lewis opened the scoring with the first of his four tries in the match. Minehead knew that all they needed to do was to maintain their shape to keep the points coming and secure a win which reflected the sizable difference in league positions between the two sides.

By half-time they led 31-7, with tries from Ninnis, Lewis, Swann and Ross Bradley and three conversions by Ninnis, with Yatton scoring towards the break when they charged down a clearance kick and raced in under the posts unchallenged.

The second half saw more of the same from Minehead, but the referee made some odd decisions at times and upset the flow of the game, stifling their confidence.

Yatton took full advantage and tested the referee to the end, being offside, killing ball and slowing the pace of the game, and although Minehead did all they could to keep working at the score, they knew they couldn’t influence the referee or his decisions.

Yatton were next to score from a chip over the top from the half way line which bounced awkwardly for Kyle Lewis at full back, and when the Yatton scrum half chipped on again he was outpaced by Justin Harris who palmed the ball out of play, only for the referee to award the try to everyone’s surprise.

Minehead composed themselves and started to get back into the game after ten minutes of lost concentration.

Greg Richards, who was moved to hooker, found his jumpers well at the lineout, while Willes dominated his opposite number all afternoon.

Bishop, Lamacraft and Westcott all carried the ball well and with purpose, but it was the forwards who got all the success with Ryan Lewis crossing for two more tries, plus one each from Parker, James Cox and Harris from the final play of the game. Ninnis again converting three of the tries.

Minehead didn’t come away unscathed, with Joe Barrett fracturing his cheek bone and requiring surgery and Ross Bradley being shown a red card for retaliation which will see him out of action for a few weeks as Minehead head towards some crucial games.

Ryan Lewis was the A and P Farmer man of the match for his tireless work rate and dominant display in attack.


To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0