MINEHEAD 1sts faced a difficult afternoon at home against top of the league ISCA 3s on Saturday. Further changes in availability meant a new back four combination and lack of bench again up against the pacesetters who travelled with 13.

Minehead started well with plenty of possession though generally pinned in their own half.

Ultimately pressure told and an ISCA overload following a stray Minehead pass found their forward with freedom to slot home.

To be fair Minehead held their own and generated chances with a run of short corners. A further two goals meant ISCA went in at halftime 3-0 but Minehead were still in the game.

But ISCA scored first almost immediately after the restart. Twice in fact. 5-0 and it looked like turning into a really tough afternoon for the Seasiders.

A change in personnel at the back changed the fortunes. Nick Hill brought relative calm and the option of an aerial. Ironically it was a self preservation clearance than ended at the stick of Luke Barker to break free, commit the keeper and square for Josh Hooper to tuck away.

5-1 and Minehead had them rattled. Mark Bolton proceeded to blast one into the top corner from a short corner - the finish of a lifetime - unfortunately illegally.

Inspired, ISCA went up the other end and blasted one into the top corner - the finish of a lifetime - legally. 6-1 the final score.

The Second XI travelled to Sidmouth and Ottery also with a bare 11, but full of ambition.

It was Minehead who took charge from the start with an attack focussed formation of Clegg and Taylor up front, a strong midfield of Covey, Joe Bolton, Ben Druitt and Dom Bowden, and an aggressive defence.

As it turned out, the whole team clicked, and they played some of their best hockey of the season. It still took a Clegg goal to unlock the Sidmouth defence, 20 minutes in, and a second soon after saw nerves settle.

The hosts never gave up, their experienced defence keeping Minehead frequently at bay, and it was only a matter of time until they hit back, slotting under Hadley from an acute angle.

Minehead sealed their win with a Strong shot corner strike, and then a fourth rewarding Taylor for his selflessness up front to make a great 4-1 victory.

The Thirds were also on the road, to Mid Somerset 2’s over in Wells.

Several crosses into the D by Glenmore Bakery Man of the Match Rufus Strong in the first half failed to find the goal, but persistence paid off with Richard Darlington picking one off to break the deadlock with minutes to go to seal a pleasing 1-0 win.