Somerset County Senior Cup, Round Three

Paulton Rovers Reserves 0, Crewkerene 3

Travelling to First Division Paulton without Kev Wheeler, Mark Smith, Simon White and Gavin Charles - all regulars who were unavailable for one reason or another - saw Shaun Thomas come in for his first start of the season and Dean Charles making it back into the starting line up.

The pitch had a 10am inspection and was just about playable but very heavy. Paulton started quickly and dominated the early exchanges with their very dangerous central midfield player missing two reasonable half chances early on. Gradually The Tigers started to settle down with Vinny Allen pulling the full back all over the place and the two Jasons - Crabb and Rendell - bossing midfield.

The Tigers nearly took the lead just before the break when Rob Long was put through. He delayed his shot allowing a defender to get a block in, but the ball was only half cleared and Gary Trusson's follow up shot was - agonisingly - inches wide. Half time: 0-0.

Going down the slope in the second half The Tigers were well on top and nearly took the lead when from a Rob Long free kick the home custodian pulled off a great tip over. After fifty minutes Dean Charles chased a through ball down, the keeper pulled off another great save but the ball fell to Vinny Allen who chipped nonchalantly home for a deserved lead.

Dean who had been suffering a bad back immediately came off to be replaced by Dave John, who was sub because of an injury picked up in the Ilminster game. With Paulton now having to chase the game, The Tigers were getting away down both flanks with Dave John and Vinny Allen rampant but the vital second goal would not come.

Paulton now threw caution to the wind but Darren Wills made two brilliant saves to keep us in front and the more Paulton attacked the more holes were left in their defence. Three of their defenders were booked for late tackles. From one in the 81st minute, a free kick was awarded just outside the area. Vinny Allen stepped up and curled a beauty straight into the top corner: 2-0 The Tigers and Paulton were down and out. The salt being rubbed in their wounds when Jason Rendell crashed home a third from outside the box in the last minute to make the final score 3-0. Through to the last eight in the Senior Cup thanks to a tremendous team effort.

Team: Wills, S.Wheeler, Larcombe, Symes, Trusson, Rendell, Crabb, Thomas, D.Charles, Long, Allen, John.

Home to Frome Collegians in the league next week; 2:30 kick off.

Perry Street League Challenge Cup, Round One

Crewkerne Reserves 3, Farway 2

Crewkerne were forced to play at Wadham due to Henhayes being unplayable and found themselves 2-0 down early on.

Farway were awarded a penalty after 40 minutes but Darren Frost made a great save and almost immediately Adrian Male reduced the arrears to make the half time score 2-1 - not the 3-0 it could of been.

Manager Paul Charles made a few tactical switches and they worked. Craig Abbott levelled the scores on sixty-seven minutes and five minutes from time sub Matt Bisgrove thumped home an unstoppable winner for a great 3-2 win - and it's now five games unbeaten for The Stiffs!