A BED set alight by what was described as a torch resulted in the first floor of a Milverton house being severely damaged last night.

Fire crews from Wiveliscombe and Wellington were called to Butts Way, Milverton, to deal with the blaze, which was said to be accidental.

A spokesman said: “Crews arrived on the scene donned breathing apparatus and entered the property to put the fire out using a hose-reel jet, positive pressure ventilation and a thermal imaging camera.

“The cause of the fire was deemed as accidental, due to a torch which ignited the bed.”