IN A rearranged rugby fixture, Wellington 2nd XVs welcomed their Wiveliscombe counterparts to the Athletic Ground for an eagerly awaited derby Counties Three Somerset South.

Wellington were looking to complete a hat-trick of victories over their rivals, having won in a league match while they were also successful in Boxing Day’s encounter.

However, Wiveliscombe were in no mood to roller over again and this time triumphed 27-17.

Playing against the wind and up the slope Welly raced into an early lead. An excellent chip and chase by winger Dan Govie, resulted in a Wellington scrum 5m from the Wivey tryline. The returning Mark Richings subsequently picked up from the base of the scrum and burst over for a try, the conversion hitting the post.

Within a minute Wivey hit back with a converted try of their own. Welly were dominant in the scrum which resulted in a Welly penalty 5 yards from the Wivey line. Again, Mark Richings took control of the ball and smashed over for a try, converted by captain for the day Ricky Marke.

Wellington continued to exert pressure throughout the game and the next score came from a well worked lineout. The ball was moved swiftly across the backline to flying full back Evan Greening, who scored in the corner, the difficult conversion being missed.  

Wivey couldn’t break down the Welly defence and resorted to a speculative cross field kick in the last play of the opening half. This was gathered by the Wivey winger who managed to squeeze into the corner for an unconverted try.

At half time the score was 17-12 and Welly looked to be in control of the game. However, Wivey made changes which shored up the scrum and the visitors managed to score a couple of tries putting Welly on the back foot.

Offered a penalty in front of the post at the 70 minute mark, Wivey opted to kick for goal, taking the points and moving 10 points in front of Welly. Welly continued to pressure the Wivey defence and with a couple of minutes to go the ball was spread wide to George Hodgson, who managed to cross the line for an unconverted try. However, it was too little too late for the home side. Final score 17-27.

This weekend Welly are away to Burnham on Sea is the last game of the season while Wivey play .