POLICE swooped on two illegal raves on Exmoor on Easter Sunday, seizing equipment at one event and arresting a man at the other.

Both were reported in the early hours as residents were woken by blaring music heard for several miles around.

The first was near Dunkery Beacon and was discovered by officers at about 5.20am.

Police estimated ‘a couple of hundred people’ were there.

About 40 minutes later police were also called to a second rave in Kennisham Wood, a short distance away near Luxborough.

They arrived within 15 minutes of the report but found the rave was already underway with ‘several hundred people in attendance’.

At the rave near Dunkery Beacon police seized sound equipment and began inquiries into potential public nuisance offences.

In Kennisham Wood, the officers arrested a man in his 30s from Wiltshire on suspicion of possession of a class A drug and assaulting an emergency worker.

The man was later released on bail following a police interview.

Two years ago, a Community Protection Warning was served on one of the organisers of two raves which had taken place in Kennisham Wood and which banned the person for 12 months from entering the national park.

A police spokesperson said a small number of people remained in the Kennisham Wood area overnight.

However, following police ‘engagement work’ with the organisers the music was turned off by about 11pm on Sunday.

The spokesperson said: “Subsequent efforts to play loud music on site were prevented by officers who told those involved they risked having their equipment seized.

“Our priority has been to preserve public safety and minimise disruption to other members of the public.

“As such, our officers sought to engage with individuals attending the events and provide community reassurance.

“Road closures were also put in place.”

Revellers who remained at Kennisham Wood on Easter Monday helped to clear up the site while police continued to be present in the area to ensure people left the site safely.

The Easter raves were the first to be discovered on Exmoor since one near Luccombe last September.