Key victory for Minehead Barbarians Colts

By Aaron Kendall   |   Assistant Editor   |
Monday 21st November 2016 2:37 pm
[email protected]

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Minehead U18s 13

Nailsea U18s 5

MINEHEAD Barbarians Colts stayed top of the Somerset Under 18s League with a hard-fought 13-5 victory at home to third-placed Nailsea and Backwell on Saturday.

It took a huge effort by the home side to take the spoils against their previously unbeaten visitors, who had some large forwards, with their main threat coming through midfield, where their centres and fullback showed both power and pace.

Nailsea mounted considerable early pressure and Minehead had to be resolute in defence, making tackles across the field.

One area where the Barbarians showed some dominance was in the scrum, as Norman, playing his first game of the season, and Floyd put their opponents under great strain.

Nailsea ran the ball at every opportunity and broke through on a couple of occasions, but the efforts of the Barbarians to cover back and stop their opponents kept them in the game, with Day, as usual, outstanding in his covering play.

Eventually Minehead started to gain some control, and one lineout turned into a fine driven maul which took them deep towards the visitors’ line.

A penalty ensued which Lynch converted for three points, and on the stroke of half-time, he successfully kicked another to give the Barbarians a 6-0 lead at the break.

Early in the second half Minehead had another penalty chance, but the team chose to kick to the corner and the opportunity was lost.

Nailsea came storming back with waves of attacks and at one time seem certain to score as they battered the Barbarian line.

This was when the home side really showed their mettle, stopping the big forwards in their tracks with powerful tackling.

Having failed to force their way through, Nailsea threw the ball wide but Willis read the pass and intercepted only ten metres from his own line.

With 90 metres to run it seemed inevitable he would be caught, but he showed his determination and fitness to outstrip the cover and score by the posts, with Lynch converting.

Now 13-0 down, Nailsea fought back and put Minehead under considerable pressure, forcing them into conceding penalties which pinned back near their line, and eventually Nailsea they scored a try wide out.

Minehead also challenged, and twice Hole broke through and was only stopped by desperate cover.

At the final whistle the Barbarians celebrated an important win, having shown great character and effort. They had to defend for long periods, but when the chances came they took them.

Man of the match went to the forwards collectively for their all-round effort.


To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0