Fear after dog dies at Wimbleball Lake

Friday 10th June 2022 3:41 pm
Share
A flat coat retriever (Stock photo)
A flat coat retriever (Stock photo) (Pixabay )

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

DOG owners have reacted with horror to reports of a two-and-a-half year old retriever collapsing and dying after being walked at Wimbleball Lake on Thursday. The healthy dog was reportedly on his way back to the car when he suddenly lost coordination, collapsed and was dead within an hour, despite the efforts of a top veterinary nurse on the scene.

It is believed he died from blue-green algae toxin, but toxicology reports have yet to return. Blue-green algae can produce cyanotoxins, which can be deadly to humans and animals. A local dog-owner said the possible growth of the algae at Wimbleball was “completely horrifying.” A spokesman for South West Lakes, which is responsible for Wimbleball, told the West Somerset Free Press: “We have received reports of surface blooms of blue green algae in areas around Wimbleball Lake. “We are working with the water companies around water quality and they will direct us on any further action needed. “In the meantime, we would like to remind visitors of our “dogs on leads and out of the water” policy.”

Comments

To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0